The Best Laid Plans

10 Jan

On Monday of this week, the cast came off my broken leg (Taking Staying Home To A Whole New Level). I had been counting the days, hours, minutes… I had it in my head that I would be able to start walking and getting my life back. How silly am I?

My passport (Living On Borrowed Time) had expired in mid-December and I admit to some anxiety about being without a valid passport while living in Mexico, in the time of Covid. My renewal appointment for April was canceled outright due to the shut down. Finally in December I got a date that I had to postpone after breaking my left fibula. It was only a small break, nothing dramatic. So why was I still in pain four weeks later and wanting to rip the cast off with my teeth!

I rescheduled with the US Consulate for January seventh. I would travel by bus to Playa del Carmen, a couple of hours away. I would spend the night and give myself plenty of time to take a taxi and be at the appointment by noon. Sounds like a plan, right? Crutches be damned.

Sometimes my life feels totally upside down.

Only I didn’t count on the level of discomfort I’d still be in when the cast came off. I must have sprained my ankle pretty badly on top of the fracture. It’s still swollen and bruised. No weight bearing for two more weeks. That didn’t keep me from plowing ahead with my plans. Hotel reserved, check. Bus ticket purchased, check.

https://youtu.be/BEyjS69ZEIQ Hotel Maria Bonita

On Wednesday morning my beloved spouse sat me down and informed me in her most loving, sincere tone, that I was out of my mind. I wanted to object, be right, and revolt, but that small voice that I so wanted to ignore, knew she was right.

How many times has this happened?

We’ve arrived at this place in our relationship after twenty-six years where we trust each other. She’s got my back. I also know that my stupid decisions aren’t without consequences to her. I know I’m selfish, but I try not to be insane. So the best laid plans were cancelled, again. The consulate will reschedule and I’ll have more time to heal. The blog I had hoped to write for today was postponed as well. Oh well, it’s not like any of us are going anywhere any time soon.

DOS TORTAS

8 Responses to “The Best Laid Plans”

1. Gail Beyrle January 10, 2021 at 10:50 am #

That’s what partners are for. You are blessed to have each other.

• afish25 January 10, 2021 at 10:52 am #

Thank you. Lots of work there too.

2. Jack Scott January 11, 2021 at 6:43 am #

Ouch! And yes, that’s what partners are for!

• afish25 January 11, 2021 at 8:50 am #

We have so practiced giving advice from a place of love. We both tend to resist being told what to do. Tone is everything.

3. Emilie January 11, 2021 at 7:51 am #

She’s a wise woman, that wife of yours. Soon. Soon you’ll be able to go.

• afish25 January 11, 2021 at 8:48 am #

I am starting today to put gentle weight on my foot. Yes, all in good time.

• Emilie January 11, 2021 at 9:34 am #

Take it easy and you’ll keep going forward. No rushing!

4. Survivor January 11, 2021 at 3:26 pm #

This too shall pass! In the meantime, rest up and take care!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Emilie Vardaman

midwife87505's Blog

A great WordPress.com site

A Dead Kennedy

: A journal of a very slooow marathon swimmer

Intuitive copywriter + content creator: word whispering magic for lightworkers

Adventures with LoLo

PUERTO RICO: "Isla del Encanto”… "Island of Enchantment"

WordPress.com News