Just Maybe There Are No Coincidences

16 Sep

Before retiring, I traveled a fair amount for my job. I’ve always wished I had kept a photojournal of the interesting people who sat next to me on airplanes and made the time literally fly by. There was a man who allowed my toddler to gnaw on his diamond watch as we were delayed landing in Newark airport. An animal trainer with scarred arms who was traveling with a lion cub in the belly of the plane on his way to Austin to shoot a movie. Once a man slipped into the seat next to me at the last minute, in shorts and carrying a large camera. He captained sailboats for the rich and famous and in his spare time shot pictures for National Geographic. I wish I’d thought to keep their names and pictures (this was a time before selfies).

CA16A87F-AF53-4B9C-B818-33BB4F48652A

The marvelous Chihuly Glass Museum in Seattle.

49C9AD92-AA41-4C27-8BBD-23BBD06E7CAC

This week I took a break from caring for our twin granddaughters to visit friends in Seattle for a few days. It was lovely weather and I had a wonderful time. On my flight back to Santa Rosa I met a very special woman. But let me set the stage…

01574AEE-AF38-44A7-B5E6-BF204B340B21

No trip to Seattle is complete without a visit to the Space Needle

I am an avid Instagram follower of a dog photographer who calls himself The Dogist. His expressive photos make me smile and lift my day. Recently he’d been posting pictures and promoting the organization Canine Companions in Santa Rosa, Ca., about twenty minutes from where we are staying. I even told Lisa that it would be fun to visit them. They provide highly trained assistance dogs for veterans and anyone who needs them. A worthy cause indeed.

184833AF-A748-47AA-8715-D327E2137113

Much to my delight I sat on the return flight from Seattle next to Ester Molina, the Director of Breeding and Puppy Program for Canine Companions. We had a wonderful conversation about so many things. We truly are kindred souls. We even discovered that she was born on my birthday! It’s so lovely to make a connection with a seeming stranger. It reminds me that there really are no strangers, only friends we haven’t met yet. So my recommendation to you is go out there and connect with someone new. It’s so much fun. Please comment, share and follow.

DOS TORTAS
848D35EE-7695-4CF0-9AC0-AAF5581419B1

8 Responses to “Just Maybe There Are No Coincidences”

1. Amy Lifton September 16, 2018 at 10:41 am #

Wonderful story! I always enjoy your posts, but had to reply to this one!

On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 10:28 AM the adventures of dos tortas wrote:

> afish25 posted: “Before retiring, I traveled a fair amount for my job. > I’ve always wished I had kept a photojournal of the interesting people who > sat next to me on airplanes and made the time literally fly by. There was a > man who allowed my toddler to gnaw on his diamond ” >

• afish25 September 16, 2018 at 10:43 am #

Why thank you Amy. Always nice to hear from you.

2. emilievardaman September 16, 2018 at 1:26 pm #

Wonderful! A few weeks ago I was a docent at a garden tour. I ended up talking with a woman for quite some time. As she left, we exchanged emails and phone numbers. We have been in regular contact and plan to get together in a few weeks. I love it!

• afish25 September 16, 2018 at 2:49 pm #

I think the world is dying for someone to say hello, care and listen.

3. Becky September 16, 2018 at 3:34 pm #

No strangers!

• afish25 September 16, 2018 at 3:37 pm #

Gotta love it. Hope you are well.

4. Jack Scott September 18, 2018 at 3:05 am #

Sounds like good karma to me! 😀

• afish25 September 18, 2018 at 11:12 am #

I know Jack, life is a hoot.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Hokett Would Work

A premier maker of fine weaving tools and equipment

Woo-woo words for heart-centred women, spiritual leaders and goddess warriors on a mission to impact millions

Creative Hands of Mexico

Handcrafts, folk art and more

The WordPress.com Blog