Happy Tropical New Year 2018

31 Dec

Self-reflection and the start of a new year seem to go hand-in-hand. Goals, intentions, plans, resolve, diets and exercise programs are a part of many people’s annual tradition. Not so for me, at least not this year.

Blooming succulent.

For many years I had the tradition of making two lists.  One was my accomplishments from the past year (courses, travels, projects, books read, etc), which I would compare to my list of intentions written on that January first. The other list was my intention for the coming year which I would then review the following January. It was surprising to compare the intentions and the accomplishments on the first of each year. Something than never made either of those lists was moving to Mexico.

The entrance to our property completed.

I have been a very driven and goal oriented person my entire life. I never thought I would simply let it all go. There are no more lists, timelines, tracking, or weighing. At least very little. Could it be because I live in Mexico? The tropics? Or because I’m retired? Probably all three.

Daily showers and everything blooming.

This lovely Mexican culture has definitely influenced the amount of time I spend hanging out in the hammock. Don’t get me wrong, there’s much I enjoy, daily jungle walks, kayaking, painting, gardening and my new found past time, weaving. There are very few deadlines, self-imposed or otherwise, unlike having worked a government job for many years.

Afternoon showers.

So if I were going to give a few suggestion for 2018, hey, why not? They would be – do less, relax more and spend more time with a puppy sleeping in your lap, hammock recommend but optional. Happy New Year 2018.

7 Responses to “Happy Tropical New Year 2018”

1. Stan December 31, 2017 at 10:31 am #

Thank you for sharing. I am setting in Dallas today watching it snow.

• afish25 December 31, 2017 at 12:04 pm #

Snowing in Dallas! Stay warm and thanks for stopping by.

2. LJones December 31, 2017 at 11:42 am #

Hello neighbors and Happy New Year! I am inspired by your post, Alex, to look to 2018 as a year of doing “less” and enjoying life more. Thank you! We will be in MX on the 11th of January but in PV for a retreat…coming to Bacalar on the 17th or 18th of January. See you soon!

• afish25 December 31, 2017 at 12:05 pm #

I used to need to justify my “hammock time”. No more!

3. Mary Ellen Heath December 31, 2017 at 12:20 pm #

Hi there Alex and Lisa, and Happy New Year back at you! Thanks so very much for this post. After also retiring from a government career I could not agree with you more. I continue to enjoy your writing and photos. Keep em coming. Your Austin friend, E

• afish25 December 31, 2017 at 12:27 pm #

Nice to hear from you. Happy New Year.

4. Jack Scott January 2, 2018 at 9:02 am #

Sounds like bliss! Long may it continue….

Hokett Would Work

A premier maker of fine weaving tools and equipment

Woo-woo words for heart-centred women, spiritual leaders and goddess warriors on a mission to impact millions

Creative Hands of Mexico

Handcrafts, folk art and more

The WordPress.com Blog