The Taco Truck In The Room

13 Nov

Watergate, the scandal that brought down the 37th US president, Richard M. Nixon was at its peak during my junior year abroad in Mexico. All the news I received was filtered through an expatriate viewpoint. I saw almost no US television.

I arrived in Mexico City in September 1973 with the plan to return home by Christmas. You know what they say about the best laid plans.

image

Teotihuacan near Mexico City 1973

I fell head over heals living with a Mexican family, traveling by bus and train to pyramids, markets and museums. I decided to stay, study intensive Spanish and continue my travels. I was in heaven.

img_4996

Making tamales for my 22nd birthday with my Mexican family and housemate Brian.

It must have been difficult for my parents to understand my youthful enthusiasm. One day I was relating a phone conversation I’d had with my father to one of my teachers. Dad had asked me why I was hiding out in Mexico. My teacher’s response was, “tell him it’s one of the better places to hide out.”

img_4994

My parents Bernice and Ken Hoeft. My mother starved herself to fit into this dress.

I cannot blog this week without addressing the taco truck in the room, the US presidential election.The outcome has resulted in a difficult week with many people looking for a place to hide out. I wish I had something pithy or inspirational to say. I believe that difficult times can result in immense personal growth. One way that I contribute to this mess is to refuse to listen to people with different views from my own. I am dismissive and tend to gravitate to like minded souls. It’s time to stand in the flames and really listen to each other. There’s a lot of pain in our country and we will not learn to love each other and heal if we avert our eyes.

DOS TORTAS

img_4989

8 Responses to “The Taco Truck In The Room”

1. emilys72016 November 13, 2016 at 9:33 am #

Great post. Have you noticed any negativity coming from Mexicans towards Americans given what Trump has said about them and his desire to build “the wall”? I love Mexicans and hope they don’t think that all of us agree with Trump!

• afish25 November 13, 2016 at 9:44 am #

My wife went to pay our electric bill, yes we pay in person, and the clerk asked her, if we hate Mexicans so much why do we live in her country. Someone else flipped her off. People who know us commiserate. Our Canadian friends are wearing maple leaves so no one thinks they are USers. 😑

2. Jack Scott November 13, 2016 at 10:59 am #

While I suspect the ‘wall’ will turn out to be more metaphoric than physical, dark days lie ahead. It makes me sad. 😦

Liked by 2 people

3. emilievardaman November 13, 2016 at 2:05 pm #

Very sad days. A group of us are going to approach a neighbor who is extremely conservative and invite him to talk with us so we can better understand one another. The man’s not a racist or I wouldn’t be able to do this.
    I live two blocks from a wall. 14′ of steel. Our poor President elect doesn’t seem to know that many, many miles of wall already exist. I hate the wall and cross to the other side as often as possible.

Liked by 2 people

• afish25 November 13, 2016 at 2:31 pm #

GFY the trick is to really hear what he isn’t saying.

4. garth November 16, 2016 at 12:06 pm #

OH Thank you! some truth.

• afish25 November 16, 2016 at 12:31 pm #

Oh yes. We all created this mess.

Hokett Would Work

A premier maker of fine weaving tools and equipment

Woo-woo words for heart-centred women, spiritual leaders and goddess warriors on a mission to impact millions

Creative Hands of Mexico

Handcrafts, folk art and more

The WordPress.com Blog