I Hate Scary

17 Jul

My mother-in-law loves scary movies. If you walk past her house in the afternoon, it sounds like someone is being murdered. Well, they are, only on Netflix.

Alice’s little house.

First off, the volume is so loud, due to her hearing, or lack thereof. It’s a good thing we live out in the jungle. Mexicans really crank their music anyway so I think most of the country is already deaf. She fits right in.

Stop in and sit a spell.

We have headphones for Alice when she comes down the hill to watch movies with us. She can adjust her personal volume so our ears don’t bleed.

Alice on her way to vacation in California June 29. Puerto Morelos, Mx.

This week Alice almost died of Covid. She is in California with Lisa. She contracted the virus after a family 4th of July (American Independence Day) picnic. The doctor at Urgent Care declined to prescribe antivirals for this petite seventy-eight year old. Why? We have no idea.

Alice and me during lockdown.

Alice had severe diarrhea which shut down her kidneys. She became septic and critical. I’ve always said that medicine in the US is crappy at prevention but at its best in an emergency. She went from critical to discharged in two days. She is up and able to walk unassisted with a walker and feeling much better.

Lisa cheerleading her mom.

Alice is an amazing, resilient woman. All those trips to the gym paid off! I look forward to hearing screaming coming from her house again soon. Gratitude gratitude gratitude.

DOS TORTAS

Please, please WEAR A MASK

10 Responses to “I Hate Scary”

1. Laurie July 17, 2022 at 8:35 am #

Too many vaccinated people becoming sick with this strain of COVID. The specter of long-COVID is what worries me! I am vaccinated and boosted (once), but I’m not getting cocky. While most of the people in Chedraui are maskless, this lady is still strapping one one on.

• afish25 July 17, 2022 at 8:38 am #

I’m right there with you. Big event in Bacalar Friday night. Very few wearing masks. I was one of them. Doctors saying, wash your hands and DONT TOUCH YOUR FACE.

2. Karen July 17, 2022 at 9:45 am #

I’m so happy for all of you that Alice is recovering–I guess I was foolishly thinking Covid wasn’t so bad if a person was vaccinated and boosted. Obviously misinformed and it seems to depend on which variant and how a person reacts. I’m waiting for the next booster that will hopefully be released in the Fall targeting the Omicron variants. Lucky for me, when I caught Covid in January I’d had two vaccines and one booster. I had nothing more than mild cold symptoms. Three months after Covid, I got my second booster. I’m still wearing a mask and wiping shopping carts. Places like Walmart now provide NOTHING at the doors to clean carts. Haven’t the owners of Walmart got enough money to provide cleaning supplies? Happy for me, Harris Teeter, MOMs, and Trader Joe’s provide such things. Sorry, I got on a rant. Again, hope Alice regains her strength soon.

• afish25 July 17, 2022 at 2:55 pm #

I wear my mask whenever I leave the house. Hand washing and not touching the face seem to be very important again.

3. Lois Leahy July 17, 2022 at 10:11 am #

Good punch line. It’s all a matter of perspective…

4. emilys72016 July 17, 2022 at 11:48 am #

So glad Alice is recovering. It’s a shame they didn’t see fit to prescribe antivirals — I don’t get that at all. This variant of COVID is a scary one since it seems to hit those who have been vaccinated and boosted at nearly the same rate as the anti-vaxxers. I’m still wearing my mask at the grocery store and not eating in restaurants and staying home most of the time. So far, neither my husband nor I have gotten Omicron, but I know so many vaccinated folks who have. Most are doing more social events than we, however. Hope Alice will feel better day by day and have no lingering symptoms!

• afish25 July 17, 2022 at 2:53 pm #

She seems to be improving but sleeping a lot. Only time will tell.

5. Jack Scott July 18, 2022 at 3:45 am #

So pleased Alice is recovering. We’re due our second booster soon. COVID in it’s various incarnations will be with us for some time yet, I think.

• afish25 July 18, 2022 at 7:35 am #

And another booster after that, and after that……..🙄

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

smcghee333

A fine WordPress.com site

rudeinnewyork

A topnotch WordPress.com site

Emilie Vardaman

midwife87505's Blog

A great WordPress.com site

A Dead Kennedy

: A journal of a very slooow marathon swimmer

Intuitive copywriter + content creator: word whispering magic for lightworkers

WordPress.com News