A Kind Word Can Change Your Life

6 Feb

I grew up in a backwater town in New Jersey in the Eastern United States. My final year of elementary school was a one room classroom with a single teacher and eight fellow students. One day as we neared graduation, a counselor from the high school (secondary) showed up and like the sorting hat in Hogwarts, divided us into college prep and business.

Eighth grade graduation age 14

No one asked me if I wanted to go to college. I’d never seen a college, didn’t know anyone who went and wasn’t sure why anyone would go. I was extremely naïve. For college preparation I was required to take a foreign language. I chose Spanish for some reason and ended up in the classroom of Mrs. Durst.

I liked her a lot. Her gentle manner and attentive spirit made her class a pleasure that I looked forward to. One day she casually told me that I had a good accent. For some unknown reason her compliment affected me deeply and stayed with me to this day. It changed the trajectory of my life.

Junior year abroad, making tamales with my Mexican family.

I did end up in college and chose Mexico for a junior year abroad program. My one year of Spanish proved insufficient and I selected an intensive Spanish class, four days a week. When my program was completed I chose to live in Texas where I could continue to use Spanish and be closer to my beloved Mexico.

The ancient pyramids of Teotihuacan. A foreign language can change your world.

Today I am retired and live full time in southern Mexico. I can’t imagine living anywhere I would not speak Spanish. Who knows where my life would have been if not for a casual compliment by a beloved teacher. We just never know the affect we have on each other. I have looked for her several times to no avail. Thank you Fran Durst.

DOS TORTAS

11 Responses to “A Kind Word Can Change Your Life”

1. Nancy Day February 6, 2022 at 12:57 pm #

Muy bueno, amiga. Palabras, si. Te amo, Nancy

On Sun, Feb 6, 2022 at 7:02 AM the adventures of dos tortas wrote:

> afish25 posted: ” I grew up in a backwater town in New Jersey in the > Eastern United States. My final year of elementary school was a one room > classroom with a single teacher and eight fellow students. One day as we > neared graduation, a counselor from the high school (seco” >

• afish25 February 6, 2022 at 2:02 pm #

Hey Nancy, looks like you studied a little Spanish yourself! Love you too.

2. Karen February 6, 2022 at 6:28 pm #

I envy you. I wasn’t the sharpest knife in the drawer through high school. Took Spanish at the junior college as an adult. Never could speak it very well–too shy. Now I’m 75, this country is falling apart, I dream of running away and doubt if I have the courage.

3. Jack Scott February 7, 2022 at 4:55 am #

Fortuitous indeed!

4. RudeinNewYork February 10, 2022 at 11:15 pm #

Nice witness to tge power of education

• afish25 February 11, 2022 at 8:47 am #

I have a middle school teacher who is a whole other story. Completely changed my life.

5. Emilie February 11, 2022 at 1:27 pm #

Good teachers and kind teachers are a real treasure.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

smcghee333

A fine WordPress.com site

rudeinnewyork

A topnotch WordPress.com site

Emilie Vardaman

midwife87505's Blog

A great WordPress.com site

A Dead Kennedy

: A journal of a very slooow marathon swimmer

Intuitive copywriter + content creator: word whispering magic for lightworkers

WordPress.com News