It’s Not About the Words

29 Oct

I’ve always been a word person. In seventh grade Mr. Oldfield taught us to diagram sentences…verbs, nouns, adjectives, adverbs, pronouns, gerunds. The more complicated the sentence, the more I liked it.

Eighth grade age 14 and high school graduation 1970

When registering for high school classes, the counselor signed me up for a semester of Latin. I had no idea why. I was so lost in that class. I passed the course by copying test answers from the girl next to me. It took me a long time to understand that taking Latin was one of the best things I ever did and that I actually learned a lot. Not only is Latin the basis for English but made learning Spanish that much easier. I don’t think schools offer Latin anymore.

Even though I loved words, I never understood how to write a term paper. Classes at the University of Texas had a strong writing component. The teaching assistant would return my scribbling with suggestions for improvement marked in red. I made corrections and returned the paper as many times as it took to have an acceptably finished product. I was learning.

Graduate school and a job as a grant writer further developed my abilities. The final outcome was a love of writing. I do my best to hone my craft and produce a blog that tells a story. I am a work in progress.

So that’s the written word. What about spoken? My poor wife frequently looks at me in confusion. She is more of a statistical, black and white thinker. All my finely crafted communications leave her befuddled and give her a headache. It’s a wonder we’ve made it twenty-five years.

Last night I had a dream. An ethereal woman appeared to me and stated clearly, “it’s not about the words, it’s about the feelings.” The message shone through. People don’t feel loved, understood, and accepted by my well diagrammed sentences. I use words to protect myself and distance myself from people. They also make me feel smart. I guess it’s time for less thinking and more heart, a skill I’m willing to develop.

DOS TORTAS

9 Responses to “It’s Not About the Words”

1. Emilie November 1, 2020 at 11:46 am #

Ahh, yes. Definitely time for more heart. And better listening.

2. Shirley Broussard November 1, 2020 at 1:20 pm #

Hey Alex, I LUV reading all your written words and having known you for years, I know you have a lot of heart too! But amen, I too love the written word. Never took Latin but yes, probably a shame it’s not commonly offered in schools. You and Lisa take care💕

Shirl

• afish25 November 1, 2020 at 1:26 pm #

Glad you finally figured out how to comment on WP. 😂 Glad to know you’re a follower of the blog. Take care.

3. Becky November 1, 2020 at 7:22 pm #

Oh, I miss you.

4. Jack Scott November 2, 2020 at 4:07 am #

I did Latin too, as did Liam. It isn’t much taught here these days either which I think is sad.

• afish25 November 2, 2020 at 8:11 am #

Language like science is less valued.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

midwife87505's Blog

A great WordPress.com site

A Dead Kennedy

: A journal of a very slooow marathon swimmer

Intuitive copywriter + content creator: word whispering magic for brands with soul

Adventures with LoLo

Mexico's Copper Canyon - Barranca Del Cobre

Creative Hands of Mexico

Handcrafts, folk art and more

Emilie Vardaman