Kayaking Laguna Bacalar – Hawks, Bromeliads and Wild Orchids

6 Jul

By all reports, this summer has been windier than normal on Laguna Bacalar in Southern Mexico, resulting in a choppy lake and few trips out in my kayak. I have missed the quiet mornings of gliding along the mangroves feeling like an early explorer discovering a new world.

This week has provided the delightful surprise of waking to a flat, quiet laguna and I’ve been off in my little blue kayak.

Perfect kayaking conditions.

Perfect kayaking conditions.

The opposite shore is thick with beautiful mangroves. It takes me about 15 minutes to traverse the lake from our house. The endless rains of last fall made it easy to cut through the mangroves to explore the canals east of the laguna. This week I managed to travel south along the groves observing the large black and white hawks known as kites that are out in search of snails for breakfast.

image

The cool mornings allow a private tour of the peaceful edge of the laguna. The mangroves are a haven to sea birds and air plants. Bromeliads and wild orchids cling to the branches waiting for the rainy season to begin in earnest.

image

Wild orchids.

Wild orchids.

Today we had another sort of lake excursion planned. Our friends from Tulum were visiting for a weekend getaway, and Lisa arranged for a launch to take us out on the laguna for a day of swimming and picnic. We could not have picked a better day.

Heading out to enjoy the lake.

Heading out to enjoy the lake.

Our friends Hillary and Amir brought their boat around and picked us up for a four hour tour. Hillary’s mother and aunt follow my blog from Canada, so this shout-out is for them.

Greetings from Hillary in Bacalar.

Greetings from Hillary in Bacalar.

A fun day was had by all.

image

11 Responses to “Kayaking Laguna Bacalar – Hawks, Bromeliads and Wild Orchids”

1. Nancy Sclight July 6, 2014 at 3:46 pm #

I really love the photo of the kite. Nancy

Sent from my iPad

2. brucekelley July 6, 2014 at 4:29 pm #

Hola Alex,

Great post and pix! I can see why you chose to make your home in this piece of paradise.

Always look forward to your updates.

Cheers!

• afish25 July 6, 2014 at 5:26 pm #

Thanks Bruce, with all the craziness of trying to get this house built, it’s easy to think maybe we made a mistake. Being out on the lake is a wonderful reminder of why we’re here.

3. Lisa Thompson July 7, 2014 at 6:58 am #

Had a fantastic day with lots of friends. My lake experiences are a little different than Alex’s. Mine have been learning to wind surf and wake boarding. But all in all, I love the laguna life.

4. LJones July 7, 2014 at 11:20 am #

Beautiful article and wonderful photos. I will be back down in October and November – see you then!

• afish25 July 7, 2014 at 11:26 am #

Hopefully we’ll be building a house by then. Will be fun to see you.

5. emilievardaman July 7, 2014 at 5:56 pm #

I’d love to go kayaking there. It looks idyllic.

• afish25 July 7, 2014 at 6:10 pm #

Thanks Emilie, it’s a lovely lake. I had never heard of it before I started looking for a place to retire.

6. Clare July 9, 2014 at 7:25 am #

Hello Alex, Thanks for posting the picture of Hilary. I’ve been reading your blog for the past few weeks and very much enjoyed learning about your journey from Texas to Bacalar. You write with such ease and humour. Agree that Bacalar is a most special place and looking forward to being back there again and continuing to read your thoughtful observations on life in Mexico. Gracias from Hilary’s Mom in Canada.

• afish25 July 9, 2014 at 7:33 am #

Thanks Clare, Hillary told me that you have been enjoying the blog. It’s fun to write. Hillary is a great addition to our community and I love getting to know her. Look forward to seeing you in Bacalar again. Alex

TinyHouse43.com

Texas-sized 2 Tiny House For Three

gendermom

A chronicle of fun and fear, or, daily life with my young trans daughter

Bucket List Publications

Indulge- Travel, Adventure, & New Experiences

WordPress.com News

Bobina's World

A writer's exploration of the world

One man, one kayak. The entire Amazon River in less than 60 days.

Plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience that shall explain and overlook the old. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

JUMP FOR JOY! Photo Project

Capturing the beauty of the human spirit -- in mid-air -- around the world

greebaarriba

from San Francisco to Cusco with two kids in tow...

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 250 other followers