Pass the Tamales

22 Dec

To say that I moved to Mexico to avoid the Christmas hype would not be far off the mark. The endless Christmas carols, holiday traffic, and buy, buy, buy mentality starts earlier and earlier. I used to look forward to breaking out the outdoor lights, brewing up a batch of my mother’s home-made eggnog and dusting off the cranberry recipes. While we had pretty much quit giving gifts, we certainly enjoyed time with family and friends.

This will be the first Christmas we have been away from our family. We’ve missed a few Thanksgivings, but never Christmas. How did I not see that I would have feelings about this? It hit me that I am dealing with this sadness by acting like I don’t care. “I don’t even LIKE Christmas. The people here are all weird. Do we HAVE to go to all these parties?” Waaah.

The truth is that this is the new life we’ve chosen. Our kids are grown and creating their new families and traditions. We will see them in January and have lots of time to connect. We are getting to know our new peeps and the last thing I want is to be aloof and distant, been there, done that.

So pass the tamales. I know that eggnog recipe is around here somewhere.

Thanks to our friend Scott for this wonderful little greeting card.

8 Responses to “Pass the Tamales”

1. Trish Callahan December 22, 2013 at 11:18 am #

I can relate. While I have not moved out of the country, I have moved physicallly and emotionally and am attempting to choose a holiday plan that will be fun and not stressful. Just got off the phone with a friend who said I could spend Christmas with her family but proceeded to tell me how she’s basically stopped inviting friends to Christmas because her mother gets irritated with anyone she brings. Then she told me that she asked her mother if there was anything that bugged her about me and proceeded to tell me about things I had done over 10 years ago, the one and only time I spend Christmas with them. Too reminiscent of Christmas with my own family where there is one person that everyone is walking on eggshells around so doesn’t get angry, which she inevitably always does.
    And yet it does matter to me to be around people and feel connected on Christmas. So… I might spend part of the day with them or none of it. I left a message for a newer friend asking what she’s doing, trying to think outside of the box and see options.

• afish25 December 23, 2013 at 11:12 am #

Hope things work out for you.

2. brucekelley December 22, 2013 at 6:08 pm #

Great post, Alex. I think you have captured the feelings of many expats.
    Feliz Navidad y prospero año nuevo.
    Cheers!

• afish25 December 23, 2013 at 11:14 am #

I appreciate your friendship Bruce. You have paved the way for many.

3. Garth December 22, 2013 at 11:43 pm #

Felice Navidad I love you

• afish25 December 23, 2013 at 11:13 am #

Thanks for all your love and support.

4. Shirley December 23, 2013 at 8:08 am #

Feliz Navidad y Prospero Ano, Ladies!!! Having a low-key holiday here in Temple but all is good. Take care. Shirl

the enlightened globetrekker

happy & enlightening traveling adventures

TinyHouse43.com

Texas-sized 2 Tiny House For Three

gendermom

A chronicle of fun and fear, or, daily life with my young trans daughter

Bucket List Publications

Indulge- Travel, Adventure, & New Experiences

CIGUDEG pleis bilong tu mi

A great WordPress.com site

NerdGirlHomes

building tiny houses for a good cause- because shelter is a birthright, not a privilege

WordPress.com News

Bobina's World

A writer's exploration of the world

One man, one kayak. The entire Amazon River in less than 60 days.

Plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience that shall explain and overlook the old. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

JUMP FOR JOY! Photo Project

Capturing the beauty of the human spirit -- in mid-air -- around the world

greebaarriba

from San Francisco to Cusco with two kids in tow...

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 234 other followers