Electronic Hell

15 Dec

I have a brother who has no email address. He has never Googled nor ordered anything from Amazon. He doesn’t know what a Kindle is. I booked his recent flight to our family reunion while he was on the phone feeding me credit card information. I can’t send him pictures from our vacation, and he’s never read my blog. He takes great pride in not participating in a much bigger world, preferring his life on simpler terms. No passwords, I get it.

I remember when I got my first cell phone. I didn’t like the idea of being tethered to anyone who had my number. Then like everyone else, I quickly couldn’t live with out it. I purchased an IPhone to keep up with my kids and feel like technology wasn’t passing me by. Without my laptop and internet, I couldn’t have spent hours researching “retiring to Mexico” from the comfort of my lap. It would have been old school library and books.

Since coming to Mexico, we have heard of many ways to stay plugged in. For the past few months we have used wifi (in Spanish weefee) to access the web and Skype to the States. I believe there is a data plan in Mexico that can be used with an IPhone which will allow people to reach us via Skype and can also serve as a Mexican phone, all in one. Probably when we get back from the States in February, we will look into it.

This week Lisa had a liquid explosion which dumbed coffee on her laptop and I lost my IPad, both on her birthday. The laptop was rescued but the IPad is gone. It took me about 12 hours to pull myself out of a pity party and get my head on straight. The IPad allows me to take the lovely sunrise pictures that I post to Facebook daily. Sometime during the sleepless night following our disaster, I had a vision of a Bush man of the Kalahari Dessert. He was wearing a loin cloth and carrying a spear used to provide food and water. No laptops, I-this and that, charging cables, internet woes, error messages, and above all no passwords. While I will likely get another IPad, the freedom from electronic hell does sound appealing. I’m just not sure about the loin cloth.

Easier Than You Think

Easier Than You Think

Revisiting Some Favorites

Revisiting Some Favorites

sunrise10

First Sunrise Living in Bacalar

First Sunrise Living in Bacalar

9 Responses to “Electronic Hell”

1. LJones December 15, 2013 at 10:54 am #

Such lovely ‘favorite’ photos! I wish you peace in your life without the ipad. I’m so sorry you lost it yet I know you will integrate it into your adventures. Hasta Luego!

2. brucekelleyb December 15, 2013 at 11:08 am #

Hola Alex!
    We have a friend much like your brother and he too takes great pride in being “unplugged”. With our jobs and the task of staying in touch we are pretty much online all the time. But like you the thought of going unplugged for a time does have its appeal.
    Keep up the good work. Oh, sorry about the loss of your I-Pad, that is definitely a bummer.
    Cheers!

3. brucekelley December 15, 2013 at 12:14 pm #

Hola Alex,

We have a friend much like your brother, “unplugged” and quite proud of it.

With our work and staying in touch with family and friends we are online almost all the time. Like you we think that unplugging for a time would be nice.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers!

4. Kathe December 15, 2013 at 3:24 pm #

One of my worst fears is losing my iPad or iPhone as there is information that is important to me on them and can be used for nefarious purposes if they were to fall into the wrong hands. I have a password set and all the data is supposed to erase after 10 incorrect tries to get in and supposedly I can erase the data from afar, but it’s all still worrisome. Worries your brother doesn’t have.

• April December 15, 2013 at 4:04 pm #

Just had my EEEPad stolen from our apartment here in Tulum. I freaked. I changed all my passwords on every account. I had years of photos which I protected with a jumpdrive. They stole that too. I have been connected to that for years.
      At first it was huge huge loss. Then I remembered how often did I actually look at those photos. I just stored and stored them.
      I am a Metis Native Artist. I had a lot of my artwork photos on there. But again they are gone…for good.
      My hubby reminded me I have posted a lot on facebook and emails to friends.
      The I freaked about all the info they could get off my EEEpad. So I deleted a lot of emails that would still be on it.
      So we actually found a jumpdrive at a local store they sell stuff back. But it was my hubbys. Now I actually have some to the point of peace.
      Its gone and we are safe. Its just stuff. Me, hubby and dog are OK
      Its only today that counts and now new beginnings..
      it sure has put my life into perspective and releasing a lot of stuff…

• afish25 December 15, 2013 at 5:30 pm #

Oh April, that’s awful. Most of my photos were backed up to my laptop. I did have lots of passwords and account numbers on it. I will have it erased if they try to connect to the internet. It will be a inconvenience for sure to get all the account numbers. When I had my passport stolen in Athens, they also stole a credit card and no one ever tried to use it. We can only hope.

• afish25 December 15, 2013 at 5:31 pm #

Absolutely. I can make you crazy. Let me know when you’re home.

• April December 16, 2013 at 7:38 am #

So far they have not tried to use it. Plus I have the charger so it should be dead by now. Its an unusual charger so they wont find it. Going to the pawn shops today as there are only a few.
        Huge lesson hide all your things from sight. We were too trusting.

5. Roberta December 18, 2013 at 8:13 pm #

What about your laptop(Apple)?

the enlightened globetrekker

happy & enlightening traveling adventures

TinyHouse43.com

Texas-sized 2 Tiny House For Three

gendermom

A chronicle of fun and fear, or, daily life with my young trans daughter

Bucket List Publications

Indulge- Travel, Adventure, & New Experiences

CIGUDEG pleis bilong tu mi

A great WordPress.com site

NerdGirlHomes

building tiny houses for a good cause- because shelter is a birthright, not a privilege

WordPress.com News

Bobina's World

A writer's exploration of the world

One man, one kayak. The entire Amazon River in less than 60 days.

Plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience that shall explain and overlook the old. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

JUMP FOR JOY! Photo Project

Capturing the beauty of the human spirit -- in mid-air -- around the world

greebaarriba

from San Francisco to Cusco with two kids in tow...

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 240 other followers